" The internship program at AmeriHealth Caritas is an incredible opportunity. ... It provided me with the opportunity to learn from friendly and knowledgeable professionals and allowed me to develop skills that were not taught in the classroom. After my internship, I was presented with an opportunity for a permanent full-time role at the company—which I am in now, and love! "
— Barinder Hear, Marketing Coordinator, Public Affairs & Marketing
AmeriHealth Caritas College Internship Program
College students: We're looking for the next generation of health care leaders.
AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies offers paid summer internships to students enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs.
As an AmeriHealth Caritas intern, you will learn about the health care industry, our Medicaid and Medicare plans, pharmacy benefits management and behavioral health care — and how we are working to improve access to health care for all Americans. You will also join us in building healthy communities through active service projects that support our mission.
We've Got Heart. Do You?
At AmeriHealth Caritas, care is the heart of our work. The student internship program supports our role as national leaders in caring for the poor and chronically ill.
AmeriHealth Caritas offers internships across business units at sites throughout the country, but most positions are at our corporate headquarters in Philadelphia. We have roles available in health care administration, public health, business, information technology, marketing, communications, and more.
College internship eligibility and selection criteria
Do you qualify for an AmeriHealth Caritas summer internship?
What you should know:
- In support of our corporate mission, we give priority to first-generation college students and/or students that have faced adversity or barriers to achieving their education.
- Candidates must be enrolled in college degree program and have completed the first year of college by the start of the summer internship program.
- Undergraduate candidates must be working toward a 2-year or 4-year degree. College graduates interested in an internship must be enrolled full time in a post-graduate program or professional school (e.g. master's program, law school) at the start of the internship program.
- Candidates must have an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 GPA scale.
- Candidates must complete interviews with management of the hosting department and Human Resources.
- Every candidate who is offered an employment opportunity is required to undergo pre-employment drug screening and a background check. Offers may be withdrawn for any candidate who fails to successfully complete both parts of the screening process.
- All applicants must have U.S. work authorization.
An internship that's truly professional
Professional development is an important part of your summer intern experience. Our programs include:
Book Bag to Briefcase
This professional development series provides interns with the tools needed for success in the working world. We want students to learn the fundamental skills that will enable them to compete successfully in a global economy. Interns will have an opportunity to meet, interact, and learn the healthcare business from AmeriHealth Caritas leaders.
Interns on a MISSION
At AmeriHealth Caritas, our vision is to lead America in healthcare solutions for those in need. Interns on a MISSION was created so that student interns become an extension of our commitment to our health plan members. Working together, interns plan and implement service activities that benefit our members. This team-based outreach helps interns see, first hand, the power of a mission-driven organization and its impact on communities.
Goal setting and feedback
Goal setting and feedback are important parts of the internship experience. As an intern you will:
- Partner with your manager to set work goals and expectations.
- Participate in a two-way dialogue about your performance and receive constructive feedback to support your growth.
- Receive a formal evaluation at the end of the summer.
We want your feedback, too.
How was your internship experience? Students will participate in either peer-led focus groups or anonymous surveys. Your feedback provides us with valuable information that will help further develop innovative internship program strategies.
- Promote AmeriHealth Caritas' mission and vision by providing real-life learning experiences to students who reflect our membership.
- Build a talent pipeline through a program that supports the core service areas of our company.
- Introduce students to tools that will help them build their personal and professional brand.
- Broaden student understanding of a mission-driven organization and our impact on the communities we serve.
Research & Reporting Analyst
"The real-life experience gained from working at AmeriHealth Caritas is not something that can be learned in a classroom. My work ethic, time management, and networking ability have grown exponentially, and I can truly say it was a worthwhile experience."
"My time as an intern was invaluable. I had the wonderful opportunity to lead meetings, assist in planning company-wide events, and develop new initiatives that my department is still using today."
Project Coordinator, IS Business Engagement
"The internship provided me with valuable real-world experience that cannot be replicated in the classroom. It introduced me to a level of work that I would not have been exposed to had I entered the field in a traditional fashion. It provided me with a sense of the collaborative effort needed to make the business work and my role as a team player. It also gave me an idea of where I may want to take my career in the future. All in all, a great experience with a lot of value."
Public Policy Coordinator
"The internship program was a rewarding experience. Not only did I learn how to work in a corporate environment, but I had the opportunity to participate in events that speak to the mission of AmeriHealth Caritas. It also allowed me to network with business leaders, which led me to find a passion for the Public Policy department."
Actuarial Analyst Associate, Actuarial Services
"My actuary/finance colleagues taught me the technical and business skills needed for a future career in health care. The program offered training in oral communications, leadership, teamwork, and organizational skills. I found that I wanted to do more work in the actuarial field, especially with this organization."
Project Coordinator, Market Entry
"The internship program at AmeriHealth Caritas gave me the tools and resources necessary to succeed in the health care industry through networking, professional development, and community events. The program confirmed my belief that the health care industry is fast paced, ever-changing, and always challenging. As a summer intern, I enjoyed the opportunity to work for an organization that is truly committed to its mission and values — which is one of the main reasons I decided to begin my career here."